Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Grapes!!! and more grapes!! and then more grapes...and more...


This past Friday, my order of Concord grapes came in. I ordered it from a local, mom and pop company that finds small orchards ,who practice organic farming as best as they can, and buy the whole lot. They send out emails and let you know what is coming and when it is available.

This is an awesome opportunity! When I picked up the boxes of grapes, I had never smelled such fragrance from grapes! Wow!  I guess I have never bought Concord grapes before.

I was so excited! I borrowed a grape steamer-juicer thing, from a friend and got busy the next day.

Do you realize how long it takes to pull 40pds of grapes from their stems?????????

I worked for two days, making juice and jelly. And truth be told, halfway through the process, I was quoting my bro-in-law, "you know, you can buy that at Wal-mart". I had to remind myself why I was doing this.

I am at home...I have the time, and opportunity, to give my children what I consider the best type of food. Not everyone can do this, I am privileged to be able to do this.

And then it came...Hotrod asked for his first taste of juice...he took a sip...and gave me the biggest smile he could manage.

"Thanks, Mom."

That is what I do it for.

(I did take a few minutes to take pics of the grapes. They were too beautiful not to!)


No comments:

Post a Comment